San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Principal Electrical Engineer (remote!)
Remote option available!
Los Gatos, CA
Based out of the facility in Los Gatos, CA, the Principal Electrical Engineer will be mainly responsible for design and development of electronic systems for novel Class 2/3 medical devices.
- Designs and develops electronic circuit designs for medical devices, including active implants for neuromodulation and sensing, embedded control, battery systems and power management.
- Lead schematic design and layout of printed circuit assemblies using computer-assisted design (CAD) software tools, breadboard and prototype development, testing and troubleshooting.
- Designs and leads the construction of electronic test equipment for use in development and manufacturing.
- Participates in architecture design, requirements management and configuration management during product development.
- Develops electronic and electromechanical system and sub-system requirements.
- Generate specifications, technical drawings and other relevant design documentation to ensure that electronic designs conform to customers product requirements and applicable standards.
- Collaborate with software engineers to specify, develop and test embedded software in the system and for test and verification purposes.
- Builds, test, debug, and maintain configuration of breadboards and prototype assemblies.
- Develops test methods and executes prototype testing and formal design verification.
- Develops and maintains relevant product Design History File documentation, specifically engineering specifications, FMEAs, test protocols and reports.
- Participates in the development of quality inspection and manufacturing process instructions for PCBs and other electronic assemblies.
- Works with interdisciplinary teams to integrate electronic designs into the final device.
- Interfaces with and manages suppliers to fabricate prototype and final design components.
- Leads technical meetings with customers and presents technical updates and risks.
- Leads internal and external contractors to complete their assigned project tasks.
- Assists project management with project planning and technical details as needed.
- Complies with company, quality and safety standards, policies, and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or another relevant engineering discipline.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in development of electronic circuits and systems in the medical device industry or a similarly regulated industry.
- Experience with CAD and simulation tools (e.g.: Altium, MATLAB, SPICE, Labview, etc.).
- Experience in the following areas highly desired – implantable pulse generators, embedded control design, power supply and battery management circuits, motor control, analog and digital sensor interfacing and signal processing.
- Proficiency with schematic capture, analog and digital circuit simulation and tolerance analysis.
- Working knowledge and understanding of IEC 60601 and other relevant medical device regulatory standards preferred.
- Working knowledge of medical device development, and verification and validation process.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English, and must possess excellent communication skills, both written and oral.