San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Staff Instruments Engineer
San Ramon, CA
The Staff Instrument/Endoscope Engineer will participate and influence during the research phase of the product, and will focus on generating and assessing solutions to new clinical indications. These instruments will include articulating endoscopes and associated accessories. The engineer will champion their concepts through definition, ideation, engineering and clinically relevant assessments, and eventually transfer to the development teams.
- Participate and influence in designing intricate mechanisms, mechanical assemblies and components used in disposable medical devices and supporting capital equipment.
- Participate in the development of specifications, test methods and protocols to ensure the functionality, safety and efficacy of medical devices in accordance with medical device regulations.
- Interact with physicians and users in order to verify and validate assumptions and further converge on proper product definition.
- Lead assessments and makes recommendations for solving challenging design problems at the component to system level via inspection, testing, analysis, and experimentation.
- Creates and maintains Solidworks CAD models and detailed drawings.
- Contributes in the transfer of design, specifications and assembly methods from research phase into product development.
- Participate in the generation and execution of protocols and reports.
- Leads technical design reviews presenting design inputs, design outputs and open issues.
- Generates novel ideas that strengthens the company’s position in the fields of surgical robotics and minimally invasive surgery, along with generation of invention disclosures.
- Uses Design For Manufacturing principles to reduce the cost and simplify assembly.
- Works collaboratively and efficiently in a small start-up environment with minimal supervision.
- At least 5 yr experience with development of articulating catheters, endoscopes, or surgical instruments.
- Experience in developing single use medical devices.
- Proven experience in SolidWorks CAD system, at least 5 yrs.
- Previous experience with designing for machining, sheet metal, injection molding, polymer extrusions, EDM, laser cutting, rapid prototyping, and cable assemblies.
- Demonstrated experience working with cross functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to generate original ideas by history of relevant patents and IP.
- S. degree required in Mechanical, Biomedical, or related Engineering discipline.