Boston - New England
Sr. Engineer – Laser Applications
This position is responsible for providing hands-on process development and manufacturing direction for new customer and internal laser projects; develops and establishes procedures to qualify and validate customer requirements; assist the development and manufacturing organizations in weld design, tooling, fixtures, and parameters for new and existing programs. Provides training to ensure production meets the company’s quality and efficiency specifications. The ideal applicant is a hands-on person who enjoys working with laser technology and CNC programming; good work ethic and strong interpersonal skills; customer presence; excellent organization skills; and enjoys working with machinery and electronics.
- Provide technical expertise to develop new or make improvements to existing laser equipment with a drive to increase process efficiency, product quality and cost.
- Adheres to the company’s values and all safety, environmental, security and quality requirements including, but not limited to: Quality Management Systems (QMS), Safety, Environmental and Security Management Systems, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, company policies and operating procedures, and other regulatory requirements.
- Develops novel laser processing solutions to establish and improve laser processing capabilities.
- Interface with customers, suppliers, and internal cross-functional team members to develop specifications, coordinate prototype fabrication of customer designed parts, and transition prototypes into manufactured components.
- Implements new laser systems, fixtures, and processes for welding.
- Provides planning inputs and executes on project deliverables to meet established metrics.
- Conduct process validation activities.
- Provide cost-saving initiatives by evaluating manufacturing processes while maintaining quality standards.
- Create and analyze prototype products.
- Generates, reviews and approves engineering change orders.
- Investigates root cause for product and process failures and establishes corrective actions.
- Design experiments to provide data based conclusion about a process or product performance.
- Provide assistance to develop laser quotations and manufacturing procedures.
- Understand CNC Programming to create welding and cutting programs.
- Use SolidWorks for tool and fixture design.
- Research and recommend capital equipment for the yearly budget.
- Write laser processing procedures.
- Provide process training to production operators.
- Develop inspection procedures to verify acceptability of components.
- Maintain and promote laser and team safety.
- Evaluate and recommend alternative manufacturing methods.
An individual in this position must be able to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Minimum five years Laser experience.
- Able to program cutting and welding operations.
- Must be able to make clear and accurate decisions.
- Excellent reading, writing, communication, and organizational skills.
- Develop plans for managing projects.
- Executes and reports on verification and validation efforts.
- Experience with ISO quality systems and World Class Manufacturing principles.
- Strong professional communications, negotiation, and problem-solving abilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and/or hear, and/or use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand, and/or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds while moving files or small packages. The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
Protective Clothing Required: None
Work is performed in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this position.